Saturday, June 11, 2011

Alphabet Stones

This week has been one of those roller coaster, crappy but ok in the end type of weeks. Hubs and I are facing a bit of a challenge when it comes to starting our family and have had a bit of an up and down week. We had a half good news, half bad news week but all is ok in the end and we are more committed than ever to our goal.
It is funny how tough times grow you though. Hubs and I are closer than ever, and where alot of relationships struggle, ours continues to go from strength to strength. We are hoping for really good news at the end of next month, so whether you are a praying, finger crossing or star wishing person, keep us in your thoughts. Life certainly throws us challenges in different areas and this is one where we are prepared to meet head on. We are happy, blessed and life is good.

Ok enough of that. During the last couple of weeks at work I had been doing different activities with the preschoolers around learning to identify letters and learning to write their own names. We have these boring, black and white "alphabet tiles" that the kids can play with and mix around the form words. They are very useful, but a tad boring for me. So, I decided to make my own. Take some smooth river stones, acrylic paint, varnish and a permanent marker and wa-lah! You have some colourful, bright alphabet stones.

Aren't they lovely? So much more inviting for kids to learn with. 

Really simple to make. I actually bought the stones from a $2 shop but they are in plenty at the local rivers around here and probably wouldn't hurt to pick some up when I am down there next..

I am a word junkie. I love to read and explore different texts and love the richness it adds to my life. I am hoping my own future kids will be the same!!!


I used acrylic paint and time will tell if it is the best paint to use for the chip factor! Hopefully the lacquer I used will be enough to stop them from being chipped. 

For older kids, different games can be added for further challenge. What words can you make out of only the green letters? etc. I also thought about painting all the consonants one colour etc. Maybe the next set!

Do you like? Would love your feedback, especially those that either work with kids or have kids. Am thinking of making sets for my shop - to include both upper case and lower case. 

Hubs and I also went to Taronga Zoo yesterday. We had such a lovely day, despite how cold it was. We decided to catch the ferry all the way in from Parramatta. Definitely a good move, our harbour is beautiful! 




We caught the Rivercat from Parramatta to Circular Quay and then the ferry over to the Zoo. Lovely!

Despite all the exotic, interesting animals on display at the zoo, this little guy was one of my favourites. I love them!
They have a really cool "outback farm" area set up where ducks, chickens and bush turkeys roam wildly and the rest of the farm animals live in cool, outback pens. They also have a big tribute to the Aussie shearers. Very cool for a patriotic aussie girl like myself. 

Ok, that's it for today...have yourself an excellent week!

Bella
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment